Thursday, January 19, 2012

PPR Challenge #2: A Night at the Opera

It's no coincidence that this week's challenge is named for a Marx Brothers film filled with zany pratfalls and physical violence in the service of comedy. Because that's a pretty good summation of the past seven days in the Little House.

We've all seen the Model Drama that sometimes bubbles up on Project Runway-- hardly surprising when you are filming a nearly feral pack of starving, gorgeous 16-year olds with little or no adult supervision. My favorite model of all time was the batshit insane Morgan on season one. If we ever needed proof that the producers interfere with the competition to amp up the drama, Morgan's continued presence on the show (despite TOTALLY flaking on Jay so that he had to have Austin model his outfit in the Post Office challenge and ripping poor Kevin's albeit hideous bathing suit to pathetic shreds during a night of partying) certainly meets all legal standards of evidence.

One thing that's never happened on the show, however, is this.

Poor Kateri lost her head. I won't go into details. Suffice it to say, the Assistant surprisingly had nothing to do with the decapitation. It was entirely my fault. However, I will tell you that hot glue works just as well at repairing models as it does holding my crappy garments together!

So for this week's challenge we had to make an elegant, "couture" gown for a glamorous woman to wear to the opera. The real PPR designtestants had $350; we had $35. The only time I've ever been to the opera was in sixth grade, when my class was frog-marched to a matinee of "Tosca." I think I may still have opera-related PTSD from that experience.

I tried to get to the fabric store many times that week. Things kept interrupting. Mostly, the delays resulted from my darling husband going out of town all weekend to get his geek on at the MIT Mystery Hunt, leaving me with the full time care of the Assistant. (His team came in fourth, which is pretty awesome for a bunch of old guys competing against the brilliant young college things. Congrats, Team Leftout!) The Assistant does not enjoy going to fabric stores, particularly. I mean, at all.

So I had to wait until yesterday when the lovely Susi took the Assistant bowling for a few hours to get my materials. When I walked into JoAnn Fabric the first thing that struck me was this sign:


Really, JoAnn? You are the largest retail fabric chain the USA and the best PPR All Star you can get is April?

Needless to say I skipped April's ugly fabrics and headed for the stretch jersey. I have no shame. I'll admit it. I knew time was tight and the clothes should be too.

On my way to the jerseys I passed a lovely little section of silk brocades labeled "Cheongsam and Sari Fabrics." I was struck with inspiration!  I live in heavily-Asian San Francisco, so a cheongsam-inspired look would be totally appropriate for the opera. I grabbed a gold, green, and maroon brocade and a plum colored stretch jersey, as well as a length of silk string and a couple of brass buttons. Total spent was $9. Nota bene: I did not buy thread that matched any of the fabrics. This failure in planning would come back to haunt me.

I got home, checked that Kateri's head was still attached, and began sewing. Two hours later, I had mostly finished. As I was sewing the last seam, the Assistant asked me to make a coat for her stuffed frog to wear to Tahoe next month. So I whipped that out in about 5 minutes.


The brocade was a beeyotch to handle. It frayed whenever I looked at it. Had I been planning ahead, as well as buying matching thread, I would also have picked up a gallon of FrayCheck. Instead I was singeing the edges of the brocade with a BBQ lighter after every cut just to hold it together long enough to sew. These are the things you learn "during the process." Next time, people. Next time.

So here's my runway look. A high collared, cheongsam-inspired short shrug jacket with rope knot detail, and a stretch jersey tube dress with a deep V brocade insert.





There is a hight slit in the back for showing off Kateri's gams. You can see the ugly white thread I had to use, unfortunately.


Finally, I was cruising vintage clothing sites and drooling over the gorgeous Victorian opera coats when I was struck with an inspiration. After hostage-level negotiations with the Assistant, I was able to wrench the Tahoe coat off of the frog. It was hard. How can you take a brocade frog coat from this face?


But Bad Mommy did it, all in the service of high fashion. And that completed my look.


An off-the shoulder, kimono-style opera coat to top the whole thing off! I am pretty pleased overall with my look, especially in that MY model doesn't look 6 months pregnant, like most of the models on the PPR All Stars Runway. WTF with those hideous high waists and puffy skirts? I think if your clothes make a 102 lb., 5'10" teenager look pregnant, you should be automatically disqualified. I think my dress is pretty unique and it's comfortable and versatile for a night at the opera.

So what do you think, folks? Am I safe to move on to the next challenge?

4 comments:

  1. Totally safe & I love the outfit. Adding the coat was brillant but I have to say it is gorgeous without it & I didn't even notice the white threads ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, & I have a model that has lost and arm so I need to do a little repairs like yours as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've purposely ripped poor Dani's head off to get a dress on in the past and made alterations to her to make it easier in the future. Models understand that there is some suffering involved in making true art and anyway it wouldn't be necessary if they didn't have such big heads :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Was April's fabric really that ugly? I'm tempted to go check it out.

    ReplyDelete